This no-frills breakfast bake is definitely a guy-pleaser.
My husband recently hosted a morning Magic game with his friends and I wanted to make something easy yet tasty for the boys. You can’t go wrong feeding a group of guys hash browns, eggs and sausage in the morning, but I wanted to assemble it in a casserole to make it easier to serve (and eat between rounds).
If you don’t want to rush in the morning, you can assemble this casserole the night before so it’s all ready to pop in the oven by the time the crowds come calling. That’s what I did and it worked out perfectly!
5 cups frozen, shredded hash browns
8 links pre-cooked sausage, sliced in small pieces
1 small onion, chopped
1 green pepper diced
2 cups milk
2 cups cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. In a large pan, saute onion and pepper in oil until they begin to soften. Remove from the pan.
2. In the same pan, lightly brown the frozen hash browns according to the packaging instructions. Add in the onions and green peppers and mix.
3. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg and 1 cup of cheese together.
4. Heat oven to 350. Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
5. To assemble casserole, layer the bottom of the casserole dish with the hash brown mixture. Top with sliced, pre-cooked sausage pieces. Pour egg mixture over the top. (At this point, you can cover the casserole and refrigerate overnight until ready to bake)
6. When ready to bake, top the casserole with remaining cup of cheese.
7. Bake uncovered at 350 for about 45 minutes until casserole is puffed and golden brown