Dates, Cashews and Shredded Coconut – that’s literally the entire ingredient list for these sweet and chewy, granola-style bars.
I was inspired by the commercial for LARABARS which touts minimal, real-food ingredients like nuts, dates and fruit (no ticky-tacky!) For example, the ingredient list for LARABAR’s Cashew Cookie is two words: dates, cashews. I’m a VERY reluctant baker, so that seemed like a manageable shopping list for a make-at-home treat.
Ok, Simple Ingredient list: check. Simple Instructions/Equipment: double check!! A food processor is pretty much the only thing you need to bring these bars to life. No baking involved! The dates have a chewy, sticky consistency that acts as the glue to hold everything together.
First, I pulsed the cashews and coconut coarsely. Add the dates and continue to pulse until it all sticks together. Mold the mixture into a rectangle that’s about one inch thick. Then it’s off to the fridge for a few hours! I cut my bars into one inch strips. Keep in the fridge until you’re ready to eat!
Dates offer a blank canvas for all kind of real-food, no-bake bars and snacks and I’m excited to try out some other combinations!
1 1/2 cups of salted cashews, unroasted
1 1/2 cups of unpitted dates
1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
1. In a food processor, pulse the cashews and coconut coarsely (a few seconds should do it)
2. Add the dates to the food processor and continue to pulse until the mixture sticks together.
3. Mold the mixture into a rectangle that’s about one inch thick.
4. Refrigerate bar about 6 hours.
5. Cut bars into one inch strips. Keep in the fridge until you’re ready to eat!