I’ve been going a little quiche crazy lately, but when I get a craving it’s hard to shake it. This is also a last hurrah of sorts in that I’ve decided to start working out again (eek!). I’ve been religiously anti-daily workouts ever since I left college. It’s worked out for me all these years, but at 34, my habit of eating whatever I want and Netflixing have finally caught up with me.
Daily quiche, while it sounds like the perfect lifestyle choice, would probably cancel out my blossoming workout routine. So, if this is the end of the line, I decided to go out with a bang by splurging on my favorite ingredients: salmon, mushroom and cheese.
1 frozen pie shell
3 eggs and 1 egg yolk
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 oz smoked salmon (or lox), cubed
8 oz white button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 white onion, diced
1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a small pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook another 8 minutes until mushrooms begin to soften. Drain liquid and set aside.
3. Pre-cook pie shell in oven 5 minutes.
4. Remove shell from oven. Line the bottom of the shell with half the cheese.
5. Cover cheese with the onion/mushroom mixture.
6. Add cubed salmon and top with the rest of the cheese.
7. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolk, milk, cream, dill, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the quiche filling.
8. Bake quiche in oven for 30-40 minutes until egg is set.