These veggie bowls are as filling as they are colorful.
I recently had a version of this dish for a lunch break at the vegan restaurant Plum Pantry at Seattle Center. For me, the opportunity to actually take a break at work is rare (at best) to non-existent. While I could never hope to duplicate Plum’s masterful bowls, I was so bowled over that it inspired me to try a copy-cat dish for a week of work lunches. This one turned out beautifully! It’s a perfect addition to my year of #VeggieEating2016.
I made the individual components ahead of time – roasting the squash and sprouts, and boiling the quinoa. Once that’s done, you can store the components in the fridge and then assemble them when you’re ready to eat – or layer them up in a tupperware container before you dash out the door for work. It’s also yummy while the quinoa and veggies are still warm if you can’t wait to dig in!
Here’s a step-by-step:
Drizzle your sprouts and butternut squash with olive oil, salt, pepper (and honey for the sprouts) and roast for 15-20 minutes until the veggies soften but maintain some firmness.
Boil quinoa according to package directions.
Layer quinoa at the bottom of your bowl and drizzle with balsamic dressing.
Add spinach, kale or salad mix
Add garbanzo beans
Add roasted veggies, drizzle with more balsamic salad dressing and toss.
1 pound butternut squash cut in 1 inch squares
1 pound Brussels sprouts, washed and halved lengthwise
1 cup quinoa (I used red)
1 can garbanzo beans
1 bag of kale, spinach or salad mix
your favorite balsamic vinaigrette dressing
1. Heat oven to 375. In a bowl, lightly drizzle Brussels sprouts with olive oil, honey, salt and pepper – and gently mix.
2. On a baking sheet, put butternut squash on one side and lightly drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. On the other side of the sheet, layer the Brussel sprouts with the white part down.
3. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until veggies soften but are still slightly crisp. Remove and set aside.
4. While veggies are roasting, cook quinoa according to package directions.
5. When quinoa and veggies are done and cooled a bit, begin to layer your bowl: quinoa on the bottom with a drizzle of balsamic dressing, add lettuce, add garbanzo beans, add roasted veggies, add more balsamic and gentle toss to coat.