We’ve rounded the corner into September, and there’s a hint of a nip in the air. That means three very important things: 1. I can finally wear that purple, asymmetrical down jacket that I bought in the middle of summer because it was on sale (a wise but frustrating purchase!) 2. the bulky air conditioner can be put back in storage (I get my floor space back!) and 3. IT’S SOUP SEASON!
I’m celebrating September with a spin on this AllRecipes Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini. If you haven’t checked out AllRecipes in a while, head on over. They’ve redesigned their website and it’s a neat transition to a part Pinterest, part Facebook-style social network that’s “for cooks by cooks.” Snazzy stuff! You can follow your friends, see what they’re cooking, and share your own kitchen creations. I’m loving it and having so much fun exploring. Be sure to follow me on AllRecipes here!
1 pound mild or spicy Italian sausage (I used mild)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
5 Roma tomatoes, chopped
2-3 cups of kale, coarsely chopped
1 cup sliced zucchini, chopped
3 cups beef broth
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup red wine
1 8oz can tomato sauce
5 basil leaves, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
8 ounces tortellini pasta
fresh parmesan cheese for topping
1. Brown the Italian sausage until fully cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a large pot heat olive oil, add onion and carrots until they soften.
3. Add to pot: broth, water, wine, tomatoes, tomato sauce, kale, zucchini, basil and oregano. Bring to boil then let simmer 30 minutes.
4. Add tortellini pasta to the pot. Let simmer 8-10 minutes until pasta has cooked through.
5. Spoon into bowls and top with parmesan cheese.