A wise person at AllRecipes.com once told me “you can’t go wrong with a cheesy casserole.” Those words got me out of a huge jam this week: What do you make for dinner when you haven’t been grocery shopping for two weeks? After we moved into our new house, our fridge was a hodge podge of random ingredients — mostly bread, frozen food, condiments a lonely bunch of asparagus and whatever we brought over from the pantry. Thank goodness for the melting pot known as the cheesy casserole.
Yeah, I totally MacGyvered this dinner. A couple chicken breasts, a bunch of asparagus, rice and the glue that holds it all together – cream of mushroom or asparagus soup and cheese. It’s the culinary equivalent of making a bomb out of a potato and paperclips, but it gets the job done and it’s pretty much fool proof! A perfect combination if you’re out of ideas and craving some comfort food. I think I’ve done Richard Dean Anderson proud!
2 chicken breasts
1 bunch fresh asparagus trimmed into 1-inch pieces
2 cups cooked rice, cooled
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 can condensed cream of asparagus soup
2/3 cup milk
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil asparagus until it’s tender but still crisp, about 10 minutes.
3. In a skillet, cook chicken thoroughly, once cooled, cut into 1 inch pieces.
4. In pot of cooked rice, add salt, cayenne pepper, soup, milk and cheese.
5. Spray casserole dish with cooking spray, Spoon half of rice mixture on the bottom of the dish. Layer asparagus and chicken on top. Spread remaining rice over the chicken and asparagus.
6. Cover casserole dish with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle more cheese on top and bake another 5 minutes.