Brussels sprouts have come a LONG way since I was a kid. Back then, this weird veggie tasted like stinky feet and I was forced to sit at the table long after dinner until my plate was clean. Now, out of nowhere, Brussels sprouts are suddenly everywhere. The “it” veggie, if you will. They’re being dressed up with bacon, nuts, and dried fruit, and they’re all the rage with celebrity chefs on tv. Huh? What am I missing? I decided to torture my inner child and give these sprouts a second chance. I can honestly say, I’m sooo glad I did! Take THAT 8-year-old me!
I was inspired by a beautiful dish from Family Fresh Cooking. A gorgeous combination of roasted Brussels sprouts, toasted walnuts, bacon, feta and dried cranberries makes a gorgeous side dish for your Christmas gatherings. A touch of honey during the roasting process gives your sprouts a wonderful hint of sweetness. Finish them off in a pan with the bacon renderings and you’ll forget that you ever turned your nose up at this veggie once upon a time.
1 1/2 pounds Brussels Sprouts, sliced in half
5 slices of bacon (pre-cooked)
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/3 cup crumbled feta
1/3 cup dried cranberries
Olive Oil for drizzling
Honey for drizzling
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Trim ends off Brussels sprouts and slice in half. Arrange on baking sheet.
3. Drizzle sprouts with olive oil until nicely coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle honey on sprouts making sure each one gets a good shot.
4. Roast for 20 minutes, flip once half way through.
5. While the Brussels sprouts are roasting, cook bacon until crispy. (I used pre-cooked bacon and warmed it in a pan until it was crispy.) Remove bacon from the pan and chop into small pieces. Add walnut pieces to the pan with bacon drippings to toast for about 7-10 minutes, stirring so they don’t burn.
6. Add bacon pieces and roasted Brussel sprouts to the pan. Cook for 5-7 more minutes until the sprouts are slightly golden brown.
7. Move sprout mixture to a serving bowl. Top with feta and dried cranberries. Toss and serve.