Entertaining season is knocking on the door. That means family and friends with empty bellies, big appetites and loose fitting jeans will soon be filling our living rooms in anticipation of extravagant, tryptophan-packed meals.
My favorite part of the holiday chowfest isn’t the turkey, the ham, or even the stuffing (although that’s pretty high on my list), it’s the pre-game food –otherwise known as the appetizers. You can’t beat sitting around with your crew with a glass of wine and watching football while filling up on spinach dip, dough wrapped meats and cheeses, and veggies (don’t tell mom).
When it comes to holiday apps, the rule is: the simpler the better. This Brie, Pear and Prosciutto Tart fits the two main criteria for holiday entertaining: it’s simple and super pretty. The pastry dough is pre-made at the store. All you have to do is line it with your favorite toppings, bake, and watch it disappear. A drizzle of balsamic turns your simple tart into a stunner.
What are your favorite holiday appetizers?
1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
1 small Anjou pear, thinly sliced
3 oz of prosciutto
2 oz of brie, thinly sliced
olive oil for brushing
balsamic vinegar for drizzling
1. Allow your puff pastry sheet to thaw a bit until it reaches dough consistency.
2. Preheat oven to 375.
3. Place pastry sheet on a non-stick baking sheet. Pierce pastry with a fork to prevent puffing during baking.
4. Very lightly, brush pastry with olive oil and bake for about 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven.
5. Layer toppings on your pastry sheet until it’s well covered. Start with a layer of brie, then a layer of pears followed by a layer of prosciutto. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes until pastry is golden.