It’s time to kick “The Summer of Lavender” up a few notches, and by that I mean adult beverages! Last week, we kept it PG with Lavender Lemonade. This week, I got a bit more ambitious and (for the first time ever) infused my own lavender vodka!
When it comes to cocktails, vodka is my jam. I love the basics: vodka/sprite, vodka/tonic, vodka/ginger beer/lime aka the Moscow Mule, aka the best drink ever invented in the history of ever! The best thing about basics is that they are easily adaptable, so swapping out your favorite vodka with the lavender-infused variety works just as well, only with an added pa-pow!
So how did we make this magic happen?
After doing a little research on the internet, I discovered that infusing vodka is really just a simple equasion: vodka+dried lavender+time = heaven in a cocktail shaker. Here’s my process:
(I only wanted to infuse half a 1/5 of vodka, so I poured the other half into an empty bottle. I prefer Skyy Vodka, but use your favorite.)
1. Pour half a 1/5 of vodka into mason jar, or keep it in the original bottle.
2. I poured 2 tablespoons of Pelindaba Culinary Dried Lavender into the bottle, secured the cap, shook vodka bottle a few times and let it sit in a cool, dry place or refrigerator.
3. I let my vodka infuse for 5 days, swirling once every day.
4. I taste-tested it after 3 days to check on it. (worst part of my day!)
5. After you’re satisfied with the infusion, strain the vodka using a strainer or a coffee filter as demonstrated in this post.
Here are some other resources for infusing vodka:
Betty Crocker, atta girl Betty Crocker!
Ok, now that your vodka is all dressed up, she needs somewhere to go, right?!
I used it to make a simple and classic Lavender Lemon Drop. Perfect and refreshing for summer!
LAVENDER LEMON DROP
3 tablespoons lavender-infused vodka (2 if you want it weaker)
1 tablespoon Triple Sec
2 tablespoons simple syrup (one part sugar, one part water boiled)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. (optional) coat rim of martini glass with superfine sugar.
2. In cocktail shaker add ice, vodka, Triple Sec, simple syrup, and lemon juice. Shake. Strain into martini glass.