Mother’s Day is fast approaching, (about 2 weeks away!) and I’m lucky enough to be celebrating with my mom this year. We live on opposite sides of the country, so this Mother’s Day will be extra, extra special, which requires an extra, extra special breakfast/brunch.
I thought about taking my parents out to an overpriced, overcrowded Mother’s Day brunch at some fancy restaurant, but I figure it would be more meaningful if I made her a homemade, delicious dish.
My mission is to spoil her rotten while she’s here, and I think I’ve made a dish that will accomplish that, at least for one meal.
I love smoked salmon. I get it from my dad. Thankfully, salmon is plentiful in the PNW, so I thought it would be the perfect treat for a Mother’s Day brunch. Putting it together is easy as pie. Salmon + Mushrooms + Dill + Capers + Goat Cheese = a luscious quiche to celebrate my dear mom.
Maybe if I bribe my other mother – Mother Nature – we’ll be able to dig into our breakfast outside!
Here are a few other quiche ideas:
SMOKED SALMON & GOAT CHEESE QUICHE
1 frozen deep dish pie crust, frozen
4 ozs smoked salmon, chopped in 1 inch pieces
1 1/4 cups half & half
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1-2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 cup baby bella mushrooms
1 tbsp capers
1. Heat oven to 350. Let pie crust thaw 10 minutes.
2. Bake empty pie crust for 10 minutes according to directions.
3. Take crust out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
4. While crust is cooling, whisk eggs, half & half, dill and pepper in a small bowl.
5. Layer bottom of crust with goat cheese, half of mushrooms, and half of salmon. Pour half of egg mixture over the filling. Add the final layer of mushrooms and salmon. Pour the rest of egg mixture over the filling. Sprinkle capers on top of quiche.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until egg is set.