Spring has sprung… at least on the calendar and at the grocery store! Outside… not so much! Western Washington ushered in the first day of Spring with a windstorm, a convergence zone, and snow in the mountains. My friends back in Michigan have it even worse: they’re getting another blast of cold and winter weather. Mother Nature is most certainly oblivious to the change in seasons, and my Facebook feed is lit up with people who would like to have a word with the “woman in charge.” But while we don’t have control over our spring weather, we can still enjoy the season!
A few positives: the wild daffodils are coming up here in Seattle! Very spring-like!
Nordstrom, Banana Republic, and H&M all have their spring fashions in the windows to boost our spirits (my color obsession of the season: Gray & Tangerine!)
And the grocery stores are full of spring vegetables – on sale – Zucchini and Asparagus are my faves!
I’m embracing what little spring vibes I can grab hold of and using them to make this delicious spring pasta dish: Vegetable & Chicken Primavera!
If you’re not a fan of asparagus or zucchini, you can really mix and match this recipe with any vegetables you like: broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, carrots… you get the idea. I happen to have a special love affair with asparagus, so I was in heaven when I saw the huge display on sale at QFC! Score! I also used whole wheat pasta for this dish. If you haven’t tried it yet, get on the train! It eases my guilt about my pasta gluttony.
Hang in there, friends… summer and warmer weather are on the way. But if your patience is being put to the test right now – like mine is – do the sensible thing to diffuse your resentment at Mother Nature… eat a heaping bowl of spring pasta and go shopping!
HAPPY SPRING, EVERYONE!
1 pkg of whole wheat pasta
1 green zucchini, sliced
1 yellow zucchini, sliced
2 large carrots, sliced
1 bunch of asparagus, chopped in 1 inch pieces
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 chicken breasts
1/3 cup of cream
1 1/4 cup parmesan & Romano Cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. In a large skillet, cook your chicken breasts until nearly cooked through. (They will go back in the skillet later) Remove from skillet.
2. While chicken breasts are cooking, bring water to a boil and cook pasta. Bring another pot to a boil and steam vegetables – or you can use a steamer.
3. Once pasta is cooked al dente and vegetables are cooked but still crisp, drain and remove from heat. Add a drizzle of oil to pasta to prevent noodles from sticking together.
4. In the skillet, add olive oil and garlic. Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch chunks. Once garlic has cooked for 1-2 minutes, add chicken to the skillet and cook through.
5. Add pasta and vegetables to the skillet. Add cream, cheese, oregano, and basic and toss until pasta is warmed through and coated in the sauce.
6. You’re ready to serve!