If you can believe it, I was a Rice Krispie virgin before today. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve eaten more than a few of these gooey cereal treats in my day, but this is the first time in my 30-something years that I can remember ever physically making Rice Krispie Treats. I decided it was time to finally break that shameful streak!
Since Valentine’s Day is coming up, I wanted to give my treats a little twist. I thought about just adding some food color to give them a pretty pink hue, but if I was punching up the color – I might as well punch up the flavor a bit too! Enter Bill Cosby’s favorite treat. Everyone has room for Jell-O… even Snap, Crackle and Pop! I mixed in some black cherry Jell-O and Vanilla pudding mix to help add a little romance to these fun treats.
I thought for sure Black Cherry Rice Krispie treats would get two thumbs down from my Valentine – he’s more of a dessert purist. “Don’t mess with a good thing,” he’d say. But I got his seal of approval… and that’s good enough for me. Or maybe he’s just trying to win me over so we’ll go see “A Good Day to Die Hard” on Valentine’s Day instead of “Identity Thief.” Yipee Kay Yay!
6 Cups Rice Krispie Cereal
1 10oz bag of mini marshmellows
3 tablespoons butter
1 3.4 oz box of instant Vanilla pudding mix
3/4 bag of .30 oz Black Cherry Jello mix
1. Melt butter and marshmellows in a large metal pan.
2. Once the marshmellow mixture is smooth and creamy, add in pudding and Jello mix. Stir for about a minute until the powder has dissolved.
3. Stir cereal into the marshmellow mixture until it is evenly coated.
4. Pour the cereal into a greased 9×13 inch pan. Press the cereal into the dish until it is evenly distributed.
5. Allow the mixture to cool and set before cutting and serving!