I will never have scalloped potatoes from a box AGAIN! What are they anyway? Circular slices of dehydrated, reconstituted cardboard? This made from scratch version can’t be much healthier, but it’s just as easy to make and at least I feel like i’m eating real, grown-from-the ground food. I’ve been converted!
I’m in a carb coma just thinking about these layers of potato, cheese and ham, but it will satisfy your darkest Easter cravings. I made this dish for a work potluck. Working double shifts on Easter weekend doesn’t give you a lot of time to whip up an amazing dish. Enter the crockpot – my new best friend and time saver. I was so busy, I didn’t get a chance to take a picture of the finished product, but all I took home was an empty pot. Good for my street cred… bad for my blog. With a few bags under my eyes, I present you with the latest recipe in my “go-to” repertoire!
Top your first layer with cream of celery soup, onion, cubed ham and cheddar cheese. Then start all over again with another layer of potatoes and toppings. Keep going until you run out of potatoes and make sure to put a layer of sauce and cheese on the top. I checked on it a few times and stirred it up to keep the potatoes from crusting on the sides of the crock pot. Here’s the full recipe:
5 Russet Potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can water
1/2 cup of milk
1 package cubed ham
1 bag of cheddar cheese
1 cup onion diced
1. Put a layer of sliced potatoes on the bottom of your crockpot
2. In a small bowl mix cream of celery soup with 1 can of water
3. Cover the first layer of potatoes with soup mixture
4. Sprinkle part of your diced onions on the layer
5. Sprinkle cubed ham on the layer
6. Coat the layer with cheddar cheese and a few grinds of pepper.
7. Start over with a new layer of potatoes and toppings until you end with a layer of cheese on the top.
8. I set the crockpot to medium heat for 6 hours and it turned out perfectly.
9. 2 Hours in, I added a half cup of milk and stirred the mixture to keep it from sticking to the sides.